Thursday, October 29, 2009

Smart Choices or just Sneaky Business?


A major part of writing a blog is sifting through the topics and interests of other blogs to see what the hot topic is bombarding the web. After looking at the LSC Comm. class blog, I found one article which interested me in relation to my previous blog on health claims. This article, “Smart Choices,” talks about the troubles that the FDA has with the “Smart Choices” health labeling company. Although this may not sound familiar, I’m sure all of us have seen this companies little bright green checks on the boxes of our favorite Kellogg’s cereal, and other select products. This company is supposed to insure nutritional benefit from the products in which its label is upon, but the FDA negates to think this the case. The criteria for Smart Choices seems to reflect a vague rubric of federal dietary guidelines, which even I question, I mean come on, do you really think that something as sweet and artificially flavored as Fruit-Loops is a smart choice, over something like Honey Bunches of Oats? I think the FDA is testing the waters for the benefit of us as eaters and consumers; Yes! Finally, an association/company that isn’t trying to sell us false information. With further investigation, I found that many other bloggers have made the “smart choice,” of writing about this hot topic. One posted article I found on the subject, Smart Choices Label fails Industry Consumers, agreed with the FDA and me on the matter. This article spoke on how this supposed “Smart Choice,” company ran as soon as the FDA began reviewing health claims, could they make their falsehood any more obvious?! There is much hopes that the FDA will revise this system that Smart Choices set up and create their own health labeling system across the board; with no favored connections to specific brands or money takers. Although I can’t lie, I will probably still be eating some sugary Kellogg’s Cereals, at least my spoon won’t be flooded by false advertisement along with the already sugar coated food!

& as always lets not be so Sweet and Sour

No comments:

Post a Comment